How shall we fight our fears?
Pastor John Piper gives five steps that are not always easy: A.P.T.A.T.
- Admit honestly — I can do nothing without Christ.
- Pray. (“God, help me not to be afraid. Please help me! Jesus, be near me.”)
- Trust. (In what? Preach the Gospel to yourself on this specific fear.)
- Act in obedience to God’s word.
- Thank God for whatever good comes.
“By the work of the Holy Spirit, God defeats temptation by awakening joy through belief in the word of God which is at work in us. And that word is most centrally the good news that Christ died for us so that all the promises of God are Yes in him.”
This is how we live.
—John Piper, sermon “The Word Is At Work In You,” video excerpt posted as A Tool To Help You Live.